Tuesday, August 16, 2011

SAHM

Growing up, I always knew I wanted to be a Stay at Home Mom. I had dreams of having a career, too. But, I knew that once I had children, I wouldn't want to be away from them. I am very blessed to be able to actually stay home with our children while my husband supports us. I am also blessed to have a husband who is "okay" with me staying home and not working.



When I was a child, I would come home from school to an empty house, while I didn't mind it, I didn't really like it either. I know my parents had to work and that Alaska is pretty expensive... it's hard to live on a single income with three children, there. Nevertheless, I always wanted to come home to someone smiling and happy to see me. Someone to ask me how my day was and fix me a snack. I believe this is where I got my idea of wanting to be a SAHM. I had always imagined myself being a part of the PTA, picking my children up from school, having fresh homemade cookies ready for an after school snack. I guess you could call it the stereotypical "Stepford Wife" or in this case, Mom.


 I'd have a perfectly kept house (yea right) and I'd be fashionably dressed and have been slaving over dinner for hours. Um, okay maybe not that extreme. Most days I hardly get out of my PJ's.

In all actuality I just want to be there for my children. Even if they don't "need" me to. I want to know everything about their day, their friends, their homework, all of it! I don't want to be their "friend" but I want them to know that I am here for them and that I am always willing to talk and lend an ear.


3 comments:

Good Girl Gone Green said...

I hope to be able to work from home once my maturity leave is over, so I can be able to stay with my daughter!

Brenden's Mommy said...

I always wanted to be the career mom. But once I had Brenden I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom. I really was lucky that my mom was at home when school was over. Now that the SAHM option isn't available to me, I am SO jealous of those who are. Enjoy the special time with your kids Stephanie! And I hope you love D.C.!!

Stephanie said...

Oh, Amy! I think about you often when I see your posts on FB about work. I feel for you. I don't know what I would do in your position. Obviously, the same thing, but I'd be heartbroken.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...