Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Orders

Back in March we found out that Michael was tentatively accepted for a job at Bolling AFB, D.C. Initially, I was very excited for this as ideas of new adventures and road trips danced in my head. Shortly after hearing the news that quickly changed, we found out that the job would be a White House Communications job and he’d be traveling a lot. Like 225 days of the year! Fortunately, he won’t be gone on long deployment but as TDY’s which are short trips. A few days here, a week or so there… Perhaps even a month at a time. Time would only tell. The job was later coined as “The Marriage Killer” by someone that my husband works with. Gee, that makes me feel so much better…
What did we get ourselves into?!
We wouldn’t be able to report to the new duty station until around April 1st. We had over a year to sit and wait! Michael had his interview for the job a few weeks back and said he felt as if he did well, but not great. Okay, so maybe we won’t get the job. In the meantime, two other offices at our current base were trying to get him to work for them. One job had already turned to someone else because of our pending orders. The other will have to, as well, because today Michael found out that we are for sure going to Washington, D.C.! He got the job! I am proud of him; this is a great opportunity for him and I am hopeful that we will have a wonderful time there.
I look forward to traveling the East Coast, seeing the history, and partaking in all of the photo ops’ available to us! I have to say though, I dread the frequent trips he’ll be on. I am also not looking forward to the heavy traffic (this Alaskan girl is not use to that!) and the poor schools (or so I am told). It looks as if I will be homeschooling, while we are there. There isn’t a school on base and I don’t really want my kids bussing to and from school for hours… Hopefully this isn’t true. Tell me it isn’t?! I’m okay with homeschooling, but I’d like him to go to public school, if possible.
Two things that have me a little sad today; the realization that we will be moving a month before Emmelyn turns one, (since we’re leaving in March) and Landon will be moving schools mid-semester. At least it’s just Kindergarten. He shouldn’t complain… Too much.  I am sad that he will not be having his Kindergarten graduation with his friends, though.
All-in-all, I think the base will be fun. Or, I am hopeful at least.

Isaiah 42:9 "Behold, the former things have come to pass, now I declare new things; Before they spring forth I proclaim them to you!"

3 comments:

Gina said...

Oh i love DC!! We almost moved just right outside of dc in VA. Idk anything about the dc schools but hopefully you find a good one. Thanks for following- i am following you back!

Stephanie said...

Thank you, Gina! Turns out we can live on a different base that has a school. :) We'll be living in Virgina, technically!

The Doodler said...

Thanks for stopping by the blog and entering the giveaway!

My husband and I lived in DC for 4 months while he did an internship and I have to say that it is my favorite place we have ever lived. I LOVED it! We were just outside of the district but thanks to their awesome metro system it was really easy to get everywhere. I hope you'll love it, it is a fantastic place. Take advantage of everything there is to do! Most of it free!

Brie from Darling Doodles

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...